Saturday, April 17, 2010

#11 - An Education

Me and Tim Approx January 7, 2010






Directed by: Lone Scherfig

Written by: Lynn Barber (memoir) 
                  Nick Hornby (screenplay)

Starring: Carey Mulligan 
              Peter Sarsgaard 
              Alfred Molina


Plot Synopsis:
An Education is set in the 1960s in a suburb of London. Carey Mulligan plays the mature (read arrogant) 16/17 year old Jenny. She works hard in school and is very bright with a promising future ahead of her. Her parents, especially her father, push her to succeed and lead a better life than they did. Her aspirations are aimed at Oxford. That is until a boy comes along and she throws her whole fucking life away to become his happy little housewife. Peter Sarsgaard is the much older David who swoops into her life all romantic and charming with promises of an exciting life of travel and culture and decadence. So when David proposes to Jenny she decides to give up going to Oxford with her parents blessing, but to the dismay of her teacher. Why would a woman need college when she has a man? Am I right gals? But when Jenny finds out David is made of lies she realizes she might have made a tiny mistake in giving up her dreams.

Review:
I have no idea what kind of person Carey Mulligan is. She's just starting her career and this is the only thing I've seen her in, so for all I know she could be a total hag. But probably not. She's probably a very delightful person and obviously a wonderful actress. She brought so much to the character of Jenny. Who, although arrogant and painfully naive, is so full of life and passion that you only want good things for her. We should all have such ambition and thirst for adventure. That being said, I was happy to see her get her comeuppance and come to her senses. I'm sure everyone dreams of meeting someone more exciting than themselves. Someone who can show them the world. But I think that's because most people are too scared or lazy to discover it on their own.

I'm trying to think of a way to describe this movie. It wasn't sad or shocking or even educational (Do you see what I did there? I'm so clever.). I'm going to say it was romantic. I don't mean that in the kind of romantic things that happen between two people sense. I mean romantic like the ideas and hopes and views of one person. Someone who has beautiful daydreams and believes in love. Jenny is a very romantic character who wants so much to experience life.

I'm just rambling about nothing really, aren't I? I assure you that a lot happened in this movie and it was very entertaining and the characters were all very interesting and I think you should see it. I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment